Thursday, November 24, 2011

Mid November update


South Africans live in grand houses - well, those that I meet when I'm here do!  This is Nikki and Sam's house (almost all of it. I didn't stand far enough back to get it all in)





And they live in Mt. Edgecombe Estate 2 - it's compulsory to have a green roof



I took this shot while out walking one day - visitors to the estate - beautiful impalas





While I've been here, my Aussie-based grandson, Oscar, has turned 4 years old and he had a pirate party :)



Activities are still pretty much the same, based around the school run, after school activities and the birthday party world of 5 year olds and 8 year olds.

All those pills and potions and patches I'm taking are still doing their job.  I ran out of one drug which can be purchased over the counter in Australia. So I went to a pharmacy with the packet to buy some more. When I showed the pharmacist the packet (for Panadol Osteo) he informed me that it is not available in South Africa and that I should consult a doctor to prescribe an appropriate drug.

Nikki was able to get an appointment with her doctor for me on the same day fortunately, so off I went to explain my situation and ask for more drugs.  He confirmed that Panadol Osteo was not available here but that I should take their version of Panadol, which they call Panado (emphasis on the second 'a' as in 'ar'). He also prescribed Celebrex and said I may get even more relief with its pain relief qualities.

Lo and behold! he was right.  Even though I still have pain while standing still, I can now walk for as long as I like without being in major pain. Seems crazy, doesn't it. So, I have taken advantage of that since and have been walking all around the estate for hours - most days. Today it's raining, so no walk today. Boo hoo. It's been great to get out and do something more energetic than sitting by the pool.

As I write this it's 12.15pm in South Africa on Thursday 24th November 2011. I'm now off to have a haircut. Ciao!












No comments: